Parents of Twice Exceptional Kids in New York City main@2eNYC.groups.ioDo you have a twice exceptional (2e) child - a child who is both gifted and has special needs? Most 2e children are not recognized until they are in school - often not until they are well into their education and then start to lag behind. Maybe your child is in a gifted program and floundering, or in a special ed program and not being challenged?
Children who are twice exceptional often test poorly - scoring in the superior or exceptional range on some sections of an IQ test, and below average in others - leading to a full scale IQ result that doesn't really represent your child's abilities - and placement in school programs that don't meet their needs.
Our group will focus on school-age children and the complex issues they face on a daily basis, as meeting the academic needs of twice exceptional children can be just as challenging as meeting their social and emotional needs.
Here is a definition that we feel is very appropriate to describe a twice exceptional child:
Twice exceptional individuals evidence exceptional ability and disability, which results in a unique set of circumstances. Their exceptional ability may dominate, hiding their disability; their disability may dominate, hiding their exceptional ability; each may mask the other so that neither is recognized or addressed.
2e students, who may perform below, at, or above grade level, require the following:
• Specialized methods of identification that consider the possible interaction of the exceptionalities,
• Enriched/advanced educational opportunities that develop the child’s interests, gifts, and talents while also meeting the child's learning needs,
• Simultaneous supports that ensure the child’s academic success and social–emotional well-being, such as accommodations, therapeutic interventions, and specialized instruction, and
Working successfully with this unique population requires specialized academic training and ongoing professional development.
If you are the parent of such a child, we feel your joy (and your pain). With the lack of resources available for our children, this is our own space to exchange resources and get help.
Group Owner of 2eNYC
*Note: Members who are service providers may send advertisement notices for their own organizations to the group 2x per month and must acknowledge their relationship to the organization in the signature email.
- 977 Members
- 8,440 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to members only.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.